Last week was the final turn and now it’s the final straight. Saturday is one big day so let’s get to the focal points and a few of the many scheduled special appearances.
1) We’ll be pairing up with the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. They serve United States military personnel injured in service to our nation, in addition to their families. While there is no admission for our automotive gathering, you are encouraged to donate to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.
- IFHF Website Link - http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/home.aspx
2) MotorWeek will be filming a segment about our community as part of the international ‘Cars & Coffee’ phenomenon. While I rarely make the call to shine up your favorite set of wheels, this may be the best Saturday to exercise some extra shine time. Your car, truck or SUV may be seen on international television!
3) The first sub-4 second funny car, the NAPA Auto Parts Dodge Charger R/T driven by Ron Capps
- To catch Ron's 3.96-second quarter-mile pass - at over 320 mph – click on the link and advance the video to the 5:25 mark. After Ron's celebration, jump to his interview (9:05 to 13:10).
4) 1-of-69 NHRA-spec '13 COPO Camaro
5) '76 New York International Auto Show Porsche 911 Turbo Carrera
- Steve McQueen chose one and his ’76 is detailed on the link.
6) Lexus LFA (1 of 170 in the U.S.)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNgQijqB_60 (Jay Leno talks about the LFA)
7) Porsche Carrera GT (1 of 604 in the U.S. over 3 years of production)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE_WqdKbTvY (Top Gear UK gives it a run)
8) ’66 Ferrari 275 GTS Pininfarina (1 of 200 over 3 years, 1 of 16 of specific build)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxsiIkWacJE (Gooding & Co. auction of the model)
9) The ’27 Spade Carrillo Ford Roadster was the fastest roadster at the ‘51 Bonneville Salt Flats speed event with a one-way pass at 178 mph. (Cover car for Hot Rod Magazine's July '52 edition)
Caravan to the NAPA Auto Parts Grand Opening Domestics Car Show
After our gathering at Hunt Valley Towne Centre, NAPA Auto Parts in Hunt Valley will be hosting their Grand Opening Car Show for 80 U.S. antiques, classics and modern muscle show cars at their location on 10950 Gilroy Road. The caravan will begin assembling at 10:00 AM and will depart via police escort at 10:30 AM. In addition to the 80 domestic show cars, all marques and generations are encouraged to make the 1.5-mile trip and enjoy the festivities.
The show will feature live classic rock music by Great Train Robbery, a fan vote for a $600 set of Carlyle Tools and a judge vote for a Best-In-Show trophy presented by a 2-time Daytona winner and pre-race co-host of NASCAR on Fox. It’s the one and only Michael Waltrip! Also, the 80 domestic cars that are taking part in the show will receive a very cool NAPA bucket full of automotive swag! Of course, a major theme of the day is to generate funds for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. Let’s convene to celebrate our enthusiast community as well as elevate our enthusiast community for an honorable cause.